Internationale, interdisziplinäre Konferenz "Language Contact through Time and Space" inkl. Rundtischdiskussion (mit Yaron Matras & Bettina Migge)
Language Contact through Time and Space (CoTiSp) is an international and interdisciplinary conference focusing on the processes and outcomes of contact between people(s) and languages. The conference brings together scholars working on different languages with the goal of stressing both general phenomena of language contact as well as specific features in a comparative approach. Insights from diachronic and synchronic language contact research have essential linguistic and societal implications, particularly considering current global migration streams. The contributions to the conference thus focus on past and present contact scenarios between languages of unbalanced political and symbolic power.
Contributions focus on phenomena of language contact between and with Romance languages, Semitic languages, and English(es) addressing:
• the linguistic and sociolinguistic outcomes including contact-induced language change
• the diachronic development of language contact scenarios and the ensuing (linguistic) effects
• language acquisition (L1/L2/LX) in multilingual settings
• the linguistic and sociolinguistic dimensions of codeswitching
• creole studies from a diachronic or synchronic perspective
• language contact and asymmetrical power relations in multilingual and/or creole communities
• language contact phenomena and their societal implications
• migration and language contact.
Originally, the conference had been scheduled to take place at the University of Bayreuth in late spring 2020, but due to the Covid-19 pandemic was re-scheduled as online event.
All presentations are made available as pre-recorded videos. Participants are invited to watch the presentations before the panel discussions taking place on September 13 and 14.
The conference will conclude with a roundtable discussion on September 14, 2021 (14:00-15:00h), with the participation of Prof. Dr. Yaron Matras (University of Manchester) and Prof. Dr. Bettina Migge (University College Dublin). The moderation will be taken over by Prof. Dr. Edgar Schneider (University of Regensburg).
For all further information on the program, please visit the conference website: https://sites.google.com/view/cotisp2020/cotisp
Registration is possible until August 31, 2021 on the following website: https://sites.google.com/view/cotisp2020/registration
From September 1, 2021, registration can be made by e-mail to the following address: email@example.com