Three Data Curators (f/m/d)
Gehalt: E 13 TV-L
The University of Bayreuth is a research-oriented university with internationally competitive, interdisciplinary focus areas in research and teaching. At the beginning of 2019, the „Africa Multiple" Cluster of Excellence (EXC 2052) will commence operations with funding from the Excellence Strategy of Germany’s federal and state governments. The aim of the cluster is to reconfigure African studies at both the conceptual and the structural levels. The cluster is conceived as a transformative space for the systematic study of African and African diasporic ways of life, enabling new forms of inter- and transdisciplinary cooperation. For the establishment of new forms of interdisciplinary digital research the following positions need to be filled as soon as possible
Three Data Curators (m/f/d) – E 13 TV-L
The successful applicant will initially be hired for a period of two years. An extension until end December 2025 is possible if the responsibilities are successfully fulfilled. The positions will be under the leadership of the Vice Dean of Digital Solutions in the Cluster of Excellence. The postholders will work closely with the Chair of Databases and Information Systems and will be supported by the IT Service Centre of the University of Bayreuth. The field of activity comprises various activities in connection with the development of the digital research environment in the Cluster of Excellence. The inter- and transdisciplinary research projects involve researchers from the humanities, cultural studies, and social sciences, along with geoscientists and environmental scientists. Accordingly, data from numerous academic disciplines and different sources will flow into the repositories of the cluster. The cluster has our partner universities in Africa and more privileged partners. The aim is to integrate them into the digital research environment as well.
In particular, their responsibilities will include the following:
- communication with the scholars in the Cluster of Excellence (including the partner institutions in Africa) and support in the storage of their data, their data management, data analysis, and network mapping in the repositories;
- support of data management, data analyses and network mapping;
- development of technical and content-based Solutions for the inter- and transdisciplinary use of data;
- support of the establishment of Software Solutions in the cluster for communication, joint data analyses etc.;
- Creative participation in the development of fluid ontologies by dynamically linking metadata relating to a wide ränge of data (texts, interviews, films, satellite data, statistics, internet, social media, government agencies, nongovernmental organizations, etc.);
- maintenance of the cluster’s data-based communication structures.
We welcome applications from candidates with the following profile:
- preferably a university degree in the Humanities, Social Sciences, Cultural Studies, or Earth Sciences with excellent Computer skills and skills in digitization projects;
- alternatively, a completed degree in Computer Science with knowledge of one of the above mentioned fields
skills in the independent adaptation of existing Software (databases or methods of data tagging and enrichment);
- an interest in Software development processes;
- proven experience in working with repositories;
- a main focus in the area of interdisciplinary data management as well as in the analysis of metadata and/or a main focus in the area of digital communication;
- an excellent command of English (otherforeign languages would be an asset);
- the ability to work under pressure and well-honed social skills in dealing with the scholars in the Cluster of Excellence.
We offer a research environment at an innovative and dynamic research oriented university with a reputation for excellence, well-established interdisciplinary research fields and international master programs. Further information on the Cluster of Excellence are available on the cluster homepage: https://www.africamultiple.uni-bayreuth.de
The University of Bayreuth is an equal opportunities employer and places particular emphasis on fostering career opportunities for women. Qualified women are therefore strongly encouraged to apply as they are underrepresented in this field. Disabled persons with equivalent aptitude will be favored.
Please send your application with documents (application letter, CV, documents showing your competence in the required responsibilities) in electronic form as a single pdf-file (up to 30 MB) to Prof. Dr. Cyrus Samimi (firstname.lastname@example.org) until October 27, 2019. Reviews will continue until the position is filled.
In case of questions, please contact Dr. Franz Kogelmann, email@example.com.
Veröffentlicht auf academics.de am 2. Oktober 2019.